Thursday, December 13, 2007

Black Star Rising - Photography Students Are Being Taught
-- But What Are They Really Learning Today?
Black Star Rising - Photography Students Are Being Taught -- But What Are They Really Learning Today?
Here in the UK we have an extraordinary situation: we seemingly have more students at university studying photography at degree level than we have actual working photographers. And at a time when commercial photography is drying up, we have created a conveyor belt system for churning out a stream of supposed "graduates" who have not been exposed to any of the realities of the commerical world and whose work has never been exposed to any really rigorous criticism.


I would like to say that my photography professor was not mean, but certainly was no pushover. In fact, I think I barely passed that class. But I learned a whole hell of a lot and continue to enjoy photography as a pass-time.

No comments: